You’ve got questions, we’ve got answers!
1. What travel documents do I need?
You MUST have a valid Passport to enter Mexico. There are NO exceptions.
2. What airport should I fly into?
Cancun International Airport (CUN).
3. What if I misplace my exit card issued at immigration?
If you lose your immigration card prior to arriving at the Hard Rock you will be asked to pay the local VAT tax of 16%. If you lose the card during the event, you will need to purchase a new one upon departure from the Cancun Airport. Pro Tip: Place your immigration card and all other valuables in your in-room safe upon arrival.
4. How far is Hard Rock Riviera Maya from the Cancun International Airport?
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya is approximately sixty minutes from the Cancun International Airport (CUN).
5. Is airfare included?
No. All guests are responsible for booking their own airfare.
6. How do I get to and from the Cancun airport?
We offer a transportation service that you can add to your reservation. Please note airport shuttles are not included in the cost of your trip. To find more information on organizing a shuttle, click HERE.
7. Are there accessible shuttles available?
Closer to the Sun airport transportation offers ADA accessible shuttle options for those in need. Simply purchase transportation at the standard rate and contact the Travel Team to make arrangements at least 30 days prior to the event.
8. How do I add my flight information?
Click “My Account” at the top of the page, log in, and click the button that says “Enter Flight Info” under your active Closer to the Sun reservation. Enter the flight info for you and your guest so we can ensure the smoothest arrival / departure possible.
9. How do I find the event transportation once I am at the airport?
Go through Customs and exit the airport with your luggage, then look for the Amstar representative holding the “Closer to the Sun Shuttle” sign. Shuttles are arranged based on flights, so make sure to enter your flight information in your Cloud 9 Account. An email with further details and instructions will be sent out closer to the event.
10. My flight is delayed, what do I do?
Don’t sweat it! If you have provided us with your flight info we will be tracking your arrival time and making the proper accommodations. If you are switched to a completely new flight, contact the Travel Team as soon as possible to let us know.
11. Does the event transportation run on the pre and post nights?
Yes, the shuttle will run on pre night dates & post night dates.
12. Can I meet the airport shuttle if I am staying in the area before the event?
No. Due to security at the Cancun International Airport, we cannot offer transportation services to people who arrive early and stay in the area or at a different resort. To utilize the event transportation you must be arriving into the airport and immediately traveling to Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.
13. What should I pack?
Weather in Mexico this time of year is generally warm, but since most of the shows will be taking place outdoors, there is the chance of it being cool. We suggest bringing some warm clothing just to be on the safe side. Other than that, anticipate wearing t-shirts and shorts pretty much the entire time.
- Sunglasses / Hat
- Sunscreen / Aloe
- Re-useable Bottle / Cup
- Rain Gear
- Warm Clothes
- Ear Plugs
- Yoga mat for morning classes
- Your favorite festival gear
- Costumes for this year’s Theme Night
14. What should I NOT pack?
No illegal substances, alcohol, non-alcoholic beverages, food, weapons, or pets. The use of illegal drugs is strictly prohibited at Closer to the Sun. All laws pertaining to drug use must be respected.
15. Can I bring my camera?
You may bring any kind of camera to photograph your vacation, however filming and photography during the shows is strictly prohibited. Drones are banned from Closer to the Sun.
16. Should I be worried about Zika?
Mosquitos are a reality when traveling in Mexico. We recommend that all guests consider bringing insect repellant and wearing long sleeves and long pants if participating in excursions that include being in the jungle. The CDC makes periodic recommendations, guests should keep themselves informed HERE. Knowledge is power!
17. What is Travel Insurance and why is it beneficial?
Travel insurance is there to help you in case of an emergency. It can alleviate unexpected travel costs due to delays/cancellations, along with medical expenses in the unfortunate scenario of a hospital visit. Get a quote HERE.
18. If I have full financial responsibility, does my insurance policy cover the entire cost of the reservation?
Each insurance policy covers the per person rate of the reservation, regardless of your financial responsibility. Be sure to contact iTravel in order to make sure you are fully covered.
19. If I do a name change, does my insurance policy transfer to the new guest?
No. Insurance policies are specific to each individual who purchases the policy. The new guest will need to purchase their own policy in order to be covered.
20. How would I be able to contact family or friends back home?
Every guest room is equipped with a phone that can make complimentary local and continental US calling, but there is also plenty of wifi throughout the resort, so you can use social media sights or phone apps as a source of communication.
1. When do we check in and check out?
Check In begins at 3pm on December 5th. Check Out is by 12pm on December 9th.
2. Members of my party are arriving later than me, how can they check in?
No worries! Guests in the same reservation do not need to arrive together to check in. When you both arrive, first check in with the resort and then head over to the guest relations desk to check in with the event.
3. Is the water safe to drink?
All water served in the restaurants, buffet, and bars is bottled and all ice is made from an in-house filtration system. There will also be a supply of water in your room when you arrive. The water in your bathroom is fine to shower and brush your teeth but we recommend sticking with bottled water for drinking while in Mexico.
4. What is the currency in Mexico?
Mexican Pesos. US Dollars are also accepted however your change will be returned in Pesos.
5. Can I pay with US currency at the resort?
Yes, however your change will be returned in Pesos.
6. Is there an ATM at the resort?
Yes. There is one in both the Hacienda & Heaven lobbies that dispense Mexican Pesos. Fees will apply.
7. Can we exchange currency at the resort?
Absolutely! You can do so at the Front Desk with your Passport.
8. Where can I keep my valuables?
Every room has an electronic safe. We strongly suggest placing your passport, wallet, cash, and all other valuables inside as soon as you arrive. Closer to the Sun is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
9. Are food and beverages included? How many meals a day?
Absolutely. Your event package covers food and beverages, including alcohol and 24 hour room service! You can enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night bites after the shows at no additional cost. Check out more info on the resort’s many restaurants HERE.
10. Is room service available?
Yes! Complimentary room service is available 24/7.
11. Will vegetarian, vegan & gluten-free options be available?
The resort has a variety of options for guests with dietary needs. Vegan, vegetarian & gluten-free options are available at all meals. Be sure to indicate your request to the restaurant host upon arrival and obtain a special dietary card from the resort concierge. If you haven’t already, update the Dietary Request field box in your Cloud 9 Account. Closer to the Sun also brings chefs from the US to offer curate munchies around the resort, including vegetarian & vegan options.
12. What in-room amenities are available?
From the comfort of your room you can enjoy:
- Free international calling to the US
- Free Wifi
- Balcony or Terrace
- Electronic In-Room Safe
- In-Room Mini Bar stocked once daily
- In-Room Liquor Dispensers
- Hair Dryer
- Coffee and Tea Maker
- Iron and Ironing Board
- 32″ Cable TV
13. What are some amenities the resort offers?
The Hard Rock offers:
- Free Wifi
- Specialty restaurants and vibrant bars
- Free On-Site Parking
- Rock Spa*
- Full Service Salon*
- Woodward extreme sports center*
- Gift Shops*
- Laundry Service*
*for an additional cost
14. How many resort credits do I receive?
All guests receive an unlimited amount of Resort Credits regardless of the length of their stay. Then pay just 25 cents for each dollar you spend!
15. How do I make a spa reservation?
You can make reservations in advance of arriving by contacting the Hard Rock Vacation Planners at [email protected] Please include your Cloud 9 reservation in the request.
16. Is there a dress code during the event?
There is no dress code during the event, however shirts and shoes (flip flops ok) are required in all dining areas. The restaurants have a dress code on the pre & post nights so bring a pair of pants with you – think resort casual.
17. How much do I tip?
Tipping is customary but not expected for hotel staff such as bellmen & housekeepers. Pro Tip: Bring some single US Dollars with you to make tipping the amazing resort workers even easier. A couple dollars here or there make a big difference!
18. Are there any medical facilities at the resort?
A registered nurse with regular office hours is on the premises at the resort. In the event of a medical emergency, a qualified medical doctor is on call 24 hours a day. If a doctor is called, a charge will be put on the guest’s room. Guests with any pertinent medical information or specific medication needs are asked to notify us in advance by updating the Medical Information section of your Cloud 9 Account.
19. How does Closer to the Sun help make sure I’m safe while at the event?
Hard Rock Riviera Maya is located just over an hour south of Cancun away from the bustle of the main tourist area on a private piece of coastline with 24 hour security at the gate. The event also brings in trained EMTs and safety specialists from the United States who are also available 24 hours a day, working in conjunction with resort security staff and local security to help guests feel an extra level of comfort away from home. Take the event offered shuttle services from the airport and you will be collected at the door and delivered straight to the event. You will be riding exclusively with other guests attending the event and will not stop at any other hotels on the way. You can expect to see name brand liquors poured by bar staff, friendly faces all around, and any help if needed just a moment away. As always, when traveling internationally use common sense, use your safe in your room, and treat others how you wish to be treated.
20. Are there any gift shops on the premises?
Yes. There is a collection of shops & boutiques to suit your fancy. Check out the shops for a wide variety of souvenirs, toiletries, beach accessories & magazines. There will also be an event merchandise stand set up selling Closer to the Sun posters, t-shirts and other cool stuff!
21. If I am bringing my children, will our family have access to the restaurants and activities on the Heaven side of the resort?
Yes, but only during the dates of the event and not the pre and post nights. Due to the nature of our event, patrons of all ages will have complete access to the entire resort.
22. What is Woodward Riviera Maya and can I bring my own equipment?
Woodward Riviera Maya is an action park / sports complex filled with an indoor concrete skatepark, launch ramps, foam pits, ninja obstacle courses, trampolines and even a cafe snack bar. If you are an active sports enthusiast, bring your equipment along and enjoy some time shredding on your next level adventure. Please note that Woodward is not part of the all-inclusive, additional charges will apply.
23. Can I use the equipment I bring for Woodward to cruise around the resort?
No. Due to resort policies, skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, scooters and all other forms of wheeled movement are strictly restricted to Woodward Riviera Maya.
1. Where will music be taking place?
Closer to the Sun features three stages at Hard Rock Riviera Maya – the Concert Courtyard Main Stage, the Heaven Beach Stage, and the late night Stairway to Heaven Stage.
2. What dates will the bands be performing?
There will be four awesome nights of music. Shows will take place on December 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th.
3. When will the music schedule be released?
The official music schedule will be released in the coming months. Stay tuned!
4. I’m staying in the area during your event. Can I buy a day pass to the shows?
Due to the intimate nature of the event, we do not sell day passes or tickets to the shows. All guests must book through Cloud 9 Adventures and stay at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya in order to attend the concerts.
5. Will there be any daytime activities?
Of course! Fill your day with awesome activities like the annual 3-on-3 basketball tournament, morning yoga, and the autograph signing. Plus fun new activities ranging from fun poolside games, cook-off contests, and more will be announced!
6. How do I sign up for the activities?
Sign ups vary by activity. Some are open to all while others will have a limited number of participants chosen at random. Arrive early and enter in your name if you are interested in participating. Whether you get picked or not, we encourage all guests to stick around for the fun!
7. When will the theme night be announced?
The theme night for Closer to the Sun 2019 will be announced soon so you can start planning. We can’t wait to see what you bring to paradise for the fun!
8. Will there be Closer to the Sun event merchandise?
Of course! You can buy event merchandise with all major credit cards or US cash. The Merchandise Store will open at 12PM on December 5th. Pro Tip: Arrive early to get in line, things will sell out quickly.
9. Will there be off-site excursions I can book?
Closer to the Sun offers a variety of excursions so you can fill your days with excitement exploring Mexico. Please stay tuned for announcements on what will be available as we get closer to the event.
10. How can I participate with Positive Legacy?
Positive Legacy coordinates environmental and humanitarian service projects to service the local community in Mexico. Stay tuned for more info on this year’s programs and initiatives.
11. What is a Carbon Offset?
By purchasing a Carbon Offset you are offsetting the emissions from your personal travel to the event (your carbon footprint). A $15 donation can make a big difference – donate when placing your reservation, through your Cloud 9 Account at any time, or at the event.
1. What is a Cloud 9 Account & why do I need one?
Your Cloud 9 Account is your personal profile. Every guest attending Closer to the Sun is required to have an account in order to check in. If you have attended Closer before, you already have an account & can log in HERE. If you are a first timer, register now.
Your Cloud 9 Account Allows You To:
2. What is a Pre-sale Password and how do I get one?
As a part of our loyalty program, all guests who have attended a previous Closer to the Sun event get first access to rooms for 2019. Returning guests will receive a unique Password to book a room during the Pre-sale on May 7th, 2019.
3. When can I make my reservation?
Returning guests can book on May 7th with their Pre-sale Password. The Public On Sale begins on May 8th at 12pm ET. All rooms are sold on a first come, first served basis – be ready right away so you don’t miss out!
4. How do I book a room?
Place a reservation by logging into your Cloud 9 Account or by clicking the “BOOK NOW” button at the top of this website.
5. What if Closer to the Sun sells out?
We don’t want you to miss Closer to the Sun! If the event sells out before you book a room, join the waitlist and look at social media groups related to the event to see if anyone might be trying to process a name change on their reservation.
6. I am traveling alone, are there any single occupancy rates available?
There are no single rates available for Closer to the Sun. However, you are absolutely able to book a double occupancy room and attend alone. (In this case you pay the full double occupancy rate of the room and have it to yourself.) If you are looking for another single traveler to pair up with, contact the Travel Team to discuss your options.
7. Can I bring my kids?
Definitely! Closer to the Sun is fun for the whole family! Learn more about bringing your children HERE.
8. Can I add extra nights to my reservation?
Four days in paradise may not be enough. We offer a special discounted rate for guests who want to add additional nights before and after the event. Check out more information on extra nights HERE.
9. When should I add my extra nights?
Purchase extra nights when initially reserving your room or after by logging into your Cloud 9 Account. Extra nights are based on availability, so it is better to add them sooner than later. Remember that add-ons are non-transferrable and non-refundable so make sure you want the extra nights before adding.
10. How do I book pre & post nights?
11. What’s the benefit of purchasing my extra night through Closer to the Sun?
Closer to the Sun offer a discounted rate & works to keep you in the same room for your entire stay.
12. What if my roommate doesn’t want to stay the extra night?
Rooms are priced based on double occupancy so you will have to pay the rate for two, even if just one of you is staying the extra night.
13. I have a friend on another reservation and we both want to do the extra night.
No problem. Contact the Cloud 9 Travel Team to make your arrangements.
14. Are there any additional fees?
There is a $45 ticketing fee in addition to the per person price that is listed. This will be calculated into the total cost of your reservation.
15. Am I able to change my room type?
Closer to the Sun does not allow for any room downgrades. However, you can upgrade your room if there is any availability.
16. The room type I wanted is unavailable…
Book your next best option and contact the Travel Team to be placed on an upgrade list.
17. Does my Concert Courtyard Suite guarantee a view of the stage?
No. These suites are great for being footsteps away from all the action, but views of the stage are not guaranteed.
18. Can I increase the occupancy of my room after booking?
Yes, depending on your room type. Contact the Travel Team for help.
19. Are there any ADA accessible suites at Closer to the Sun?
There are accessible rooms, but please be sure to notate all of your mobility and and medical conditions in your Cloud 9 Account so we can properly relay this information directly to the resort. Accessible rooms are only available in the Deluxe Gold with King bed category and do not have a jacuzzi tub, but offer a wider clearance through doorways, toilet, bathroom rails, shower benches and roll-in showers.
20. Does the Hard Rock offer wheelchairs or scooters?
No, however you can rent a wheelchair or scooter to be delivered to the resort by reaching out to Playa Mobility.
21. Can I make a room location request?
In the spirit of fairness to all guests, Closer to the Sun and Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya DO NOT take room location requests.
22. Where do I notate my special dietary needs?
Log into your Cloud 9 Account and update the “Dietary Requests” box.
23. What payment methods are accepted?
The initial deposit must be paid by credit card at the time of booking.
- Closer to the Sun accepts major credit cards including Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. We do not accept American Express.
- You can also enroll in our ACH Program and use a bank account for automatic payments.
- Cashier’s checks and money orders are also accepted. If sending a cashier’s check or money order, make it payable to Closer to the Sun 2014, LLC and send to:
105 E. Atlantic Ave. Suite 200
Delray Beach, FL 33444
24. Does Closer to the Sun automatically charge my credit card on the payment dates?
We will ONLY automatically charge the credit card on file if you opt in to automatic billing. If you select manual payments, it is your responsibility to make the scheduled payments on time. A late payment fee of $35 will be applied to reservations that do not meet the payment due dates.
25. Can I still participate in automatic billing if I don’t have a Credit Card?
Anyone with a bank account can participate in the ACH automatic billing program. Just fill out the form HERE and we will take care of the rest!
26. How do I make a payment?
Closer to the Sun offers three payment options: pay in full, automatic billing, and manual payments. During the reservation process you will choose which option works best for you. You can opt in to automatic billing and let us take care of everything or opt out and choose to make payments on your own. See full details about our Payment Plans.
27. How do I update the card on file for my payments?
If you are on automatic billing, contact the Travel Team PRIOR to the payment date with your new card details. If you are on manual payments, you are able to submit a payment through your Cloud 9 Account using the new card number.
28. Are reservations transferable or can I change my guest?
Yes. Please click HERE to review name change fees, procedures, and deadlines.